lichess.org
Donate

Is it ok to give up when there is no chance to win ?

I am wondering if it is ok to give up on game which i can not win anymore or should i play until the the end ?

I ask this because i gave up on a game this morning and my opponent reacts with osbcene verbal abuse in the chat after this ...
Yes it is OK and no, your opponent should not have behaved like that.
Then it is your opponent who has a problem. Verbal abuse does not belong here. And of course it's okay to give up. Happens all the time.
In fact many players consider it more polite to resign than to play out a lost position, especially in an arena tournament where time is of the essence.
What do you mean by " give up"?
If you resigned in a lost position, it's the right thing to do.
If you stop to play because you have a big material disadvantage and just let your clock run while you cook yourself fried eggs, you deserve the abuse.
I regard it as rude and insulting to play out a game that is clearly lost and you know it's lost. I'm not referring to a piece or couple of pawns down but a queen or more down. It ought to be clear by say move 20, that that your opponent is playing very well or equally well as you and if they have a clear material advantage or you have just blundered the queen, then it is likely that they will maintain or increase that advantage if play goes on. I sometimes type a message before I resign such as well played, I will resign now. I do this as most players just buzz off as soon as I resign and don't give the opportunity for any positive dialogue. I do see some lower rated players continue on and I get the impression they know they have no hope of winning but want to see how I accomplish checkmate. I had 3 queens a rook and a bishop against a bare king in one game but we were just fooling around.
If I have blundered against a low rated player, I may play on because I am reasonably confident of a win despite being down on material. I have blundered a queen but have still won but that is a rare occurrence. Of course, GM's often resign when a pawn down and/or just in an inferior position. I will resign when equal in material but I cannot stop a pawn from queening. I do make allowances for players who don't understand the power of pawn structures or supported passed pawns. They will often play on through lake of knowledge, not pig-headed, insulting behavior.
Thanks for the interesting discussion on this topic.
I have blocked the guy for future games.
@kifaru - yes with "give up" i mean resign ;-)
It's your choice, but don't be a clock ticker!
Cheers :) nck
Please resign. Don't let your clock run down. I get so frustrated when people do that it is unbelievable.
Also if you make me play out king vs king + queen endgame that is not nice. Unless I have some really cool checkmate its better to resign. For example only if I have mate with a knight by retreating it to a8 or something. :) If you are down a knight for a pawn though it does not make a lot of sense to resign. Put up your best defense and try. But a queen is a different story.
If you are talking about resigning, of course. If you mean letting your clock run down, as others have said-don't do that.

I always play on, though I don't do it to be an idiot or waste time, I do it for this:

en.lichess.org/NLkhGR3A45Yc

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.