lichess.org
Donate

+-500, or how to destroy the greatest chess platform with one unthoughtful decision!

It was the biggest part of thrill when placing your offer in the lobby that, theoretically, it could be picked up by one of the world's strongest GMs, if only he feels like it. Now it cannot. Why? Because Lichess arbitrarily decided that only +500. Why? With no given reason. It has to be like that because we say so. Full stop. Why are you exhibiting authoritarian sentiments?

Sometimes I feel like playing someone at least 100 points stronger than me. Sometimes (more rarely) someone at least 100 points weaker. Who you are to claim that it is objectively wrong? How you dare?

I mean, if you don't revert these absurd changes, there are other chess sites. Until today, Lichess was by far the best one, but now... I'm not a patron, so good riddance for me, but I'm sure that many patrons will feel the same!
And a 1950 won't see a challenge from a 2500. Before it was possible
So sad to see you go. Have fun on the other platforms. Although they use the same rating selector Lichess now has.
😆😆 Nice reply @thibault ...
@Otienimous Everything a person does... will be hated by some... and loved by some ... you can never have all....
Have fun on other chess servers.🌚
@thibault thats why lichess was unique. I dont understand what was wrong with that.
i once got opportunity to play with GM
@Otienimous i feel your plight but i think you are being too rude about it.
@thibault i believe you guys would have reasons for this but left for me, i would prefer the former. These little differences are what makes lichess stand out from other platforms, i won't expect lichess to begin to copy formats of platforms which are lower on rankings.
All the same, its all fun.

Cheers
@Unicorn99 Exactly that!

@thibault And that's exactly my point! You just removed one of the greatest advantages which Lichess had over all the other platforms! Of course, free engine analysis is still invaluable. You can believe that I really appreciate your voluntary job for the chess community. Nevertheless, it would be nice if you managed to find time to actually refer to my arguments instead of saying "have fun on the other platforms". No offence, seriously.

@king-Monti I'm happy that you're happy. You're right that one cannot satisfy everybody.

@SKRRSK I totally agree!

@BayorMiller Am I too rude? Maybe, and sorry for that, but I noticed that it is difficult to be heard otherwise. By the way, would you mention something about rudeness of making such an important change without any consultation with the community?
Before it was also possible to challenge higher rated players only, this option has been taken away now though because the left bar can only be -0 instead of let's say +100 or +200, pity. Besides, looks still good to me or at least no difference besides that point.
@thibault
Now less experienced players will have a totally different experience. They will be much less challenged. This feature is good, however I feel like there should be a way to switch it off.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.